Sunday, September 1, 2013

6 months post-op

Here I am 6 months after my full proctocolectomy and permanent Ileostomy surgery. So far life is back to normal except for some minor, And I mean MINOR, changes in my life. I've had some issues with leaks from the body wafer.Also had 2 bags ripped off of me, by accident, playing around with my son. I did have one scare. I thought I had a blockage, but it was an intestinal cramp that landed me in the hospital for 2 days.  I miss eating Snicker's, popcorn, and berries mostly, but I've been very careful and still eating some berries. As far as work, Back to 100%. Able to crawl, climb, push and pull on anything and everything I need to. Even started playing golf again. My scar is fading and starting to blend in with my surrounding skin. During the hottest, sweatiest weeks, I was able to get away with only changing my appliance(wafer and bag) twice a week. Slowly introducing hot food back into my diet. The only problem with hot and spicy food is the aftermath when I have to empty the bag. Rotten death wouldn't even come close to describing the smell. I'm still trying to find out a way to make the smell tolerable.  So far no luck. I've also tried different types and sizes of appliances. Hollister has a 2 piece system that I like a lot and have been using. The smaller bags are good for emergencies but for me, I couldn't sleep in the due to the gas produced during the night.  Well thanks for reading and I'll be back again to update in a couple more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment